Monday, September 14, 2009

Since When Did I Become a Museum Person??


It was a rainy day one Saturday so Mr. Broad and I decided to take advantage of it by going to a museum. It's funny because we used to live outside of DC yet I can't tell you the last time we went to a museum. (Spy Museum 2004). And yet here in New York, we became trendy, hipster and cool and went to TWO art museums over two weeks! The New Museum; which definitely had the modern art/took-cues-from-national-geographic-magazine-if-you-get-what-I-am-saying/tribal art display that made even Mr. Broad blush... (uh WHOA!)

and finally, The MoMA. But first up lunch. And then maybe some of the museum because I'm running out of food pics and I want to make this post longer.

Cafe 2: MoMA
11 West 53 Street (2nd street)
*Admission required for entry


Operated by the same restaurant group as our boy Danny Meyer (Wait, I thought David Chang was your boy?!). I don't remember too many museum restaurants. I think most are of the chicken tender and the grey hamburger variety.

But not here.
Welcome to a nice upscale Italian meal where you can get freshly pressed paninis, charcuterie plates, and cheese boards.

Arugula Salad Duck Proschiutto, sekle pear, Humboldt fog goat cheese, candied pecans, sherry vinaigrette
Surprise, surprise not my first time with duck proschiutto. A bit tougher than the normal pig one but still mighty tasty. And give it up for the figs. I created the perfect bite with some goat cheese, a pecan, and a little fig.



Rigatoni Italian Sausage, Tomato, Parmigiano
I think our recent Italian venture turned Mr. Broad onto quality Italian. Um, hello.
Something about the sauce. A creamy, peppery, tomato-ey, cheesy goodness that tasted too good to eat for lunch. Oh and little bits of sausage.




Yeah, yeah. The food was good. We'd def go back and share a cheese board or so. Or maybe hit up the upscale/jacket-tie required (or optional?) Modern restaurant. Or not. But let's go onto the actual museum.

Because I had my camera with me I took some (many) pictures of the art. Mr. Broad questioned my pictures- what are you going to do with all these pictures?! I don't know but I just couldn't stop clicking. SO. Aren't you in luck :) Welcome to the MoMA.


The MoMA is Modern Art.... and let's just say the "Modern" art spans quite a line. First up one of the performance art rooms. You walk into a room and there is a black line all around the room. Until you go closer. And you realize... It a height chart.
Clearly Mr. Broad and I participated. (Spoiler Alert! You'll see a video of it at the bottom)







This was made with cigarettes. If you are going to kick the habit, you might as well... recycle??





See???





Because what's a Modern art museum without a little Andy Warhol.





The poster seen in every college dorm room. But it's the real thing. I was mesmerized.





Modern Art means every now and then you think... wtf?!





Or it makes you ponder. Hmm, what IS art?
I'm so pensive.





Yes, Mom I am still at the museum...





So yes. Apparently Monet's water lillies will be exhibiting there soon. And because Mr. Broad and I spent no less than 4 hours at the MoMA (because when you see one painting with a vagina or one steel aerodymanic chair you do NOT see them all...) we may have to go back.

Perhaps to just find my name on the height chart...


0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP