Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Back to the Basics

Last week was the big one. Or the big 3-0 I should say. As planned, my birthday turned into a birth(five)day celebration because why not!?

As I parlayed into my new generation I had some foodie destinations lined up. So get ready.
First up:

S'mac
345 East 12th Street


Recently Mr. Broad guest blogged and told you about his favorite comfort food. Shocker, it was Thai food.

Myself on the other hand, I've got much simpler eyes. Good ol' fashioned macaroni and cheese.
And truth be told I enjoy it in all forms. The breadcrumb variety, the ones with additives like bacon and a roux, to the uber traditional nuclear yellow blue box variety Kraft classic. It's not something I eat often mainly because being married to a once-former-Asian man, mac and cheese isn't adventurous enough and oh yeah, the caloric intake usually exceeds your allotted daily value. Right.

However. When I had moved to NYC, I had heard rumblings of this place. A place that only serves (what?!) macaroni and cheese. And different varieties?! WHY didn't I THINK OF THAT?! This then started several entrepreneurship conversations by Mr. Broad and myself.
"OMG We have to open a store that only serves different types salsa! How cool would that be?!"
Mrs. Cardinal was in town for her monthly visit (coordinated around my birthday I'm sure!) and we had both eagerly anticipated this place for weeks.

After studying the extensive menu (Does Cheeseburger mac 'n cheese sound like a classy version of Hamburger Helper to you?) we decided to get two different kinds.

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese: Cheddar and American cheeses with boneless chicken pieces and buffalo wing sauce. Topped with crumbled blue cheese.





Mediterranean: Goat cheese, sauteed spinach, kalamata olives, and roasted garlic.






Rating:

Sigh. This just breaks my heart. While Mr. Broad may be a bit of an err, nose up in the air type of guy about his Thai food; I like to think that I have open arms for all types of macaroni and cheese. Especially stores that build a whole concept around this stuff. But I must say, Mrs. Cardinal and I were disappointed. Highly upset. The macaroni and cheese had an oily like texture and all of the flavors were seriously overwhelmed by the ingredients in it. I thought I just ate some hot wings with the buffalo chicken one. And the Mediterranean one was way overpowered by all of the olives. Both completely lost resemblance to mac and cheese. And took on casserole like dishes. Ugh.

At this point, it's been discussed that we should just stick to the tried and true. The regular mac and cheese. Hmm, I wonder if they serve the blue box variety...?
Rating: 5

1 comments:

Erin Lee February 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

I can't believe that the "MRS." but for this story can be "Freddy-MAC" ate that!!?? Only for you would she do that ;) I am dissapointed that you didn't like it though :(

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP