Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Birthday Dinner. The Second One

Ya know everyone has a comment on me taking pictures when we go out to dinner... until I actually write it up. And then goes from "Are you going to take a picture of everything" to "When are you putting it up?" Because oh I know, SO many people read this blog wondering whatever did Mrs. Broad eat today!?

Anyway, since the birthday continues onto the actual weekend, I went out to dinner with Mr. Broad, my good friend Talking with Hands, and Brother. We decided on Spice Market- a true New York scene.

Spice Market
403 West 13th Street, at 9th Ave

We walked in and were transported right to southeast Asia- with artifacts everywhere, it felt a bit like Asia more than Thailand did when Mr. Broad and I went. Honestly though, anything that has actual napkins on the table is not Southeast Asia (they really do portion out their paper products/napkins slowly). After studying the menu the Tasting menu caught our eye. 10 items for $48 PER PERSON. Many of the dishes they served were for sharing
And it included several of the items we were eyeing off the regular menu. We were game.
Because it's been awhile, you're going to have to deal with me trying to remember what each item was. But you'll get the idea.

Salmon Sashimi and some other stuff. Very good. Served on ice gave it that fresh feeling. But not that Top Chef reminiscent of frozen fish feeling. (Stefan- I'm looking at you!)



Avocado and Radish Salad Chinese Mustard, Tempura Onions- and I don't even LIKE mustard. Who knew.


Beef Satay, Pickled Vegetables- cause what's an Asian dish without a little satay. A bit predictable if I do say so myself.


Spiced Chicken Samosas Cilantro Yogurt- the dish my brother was waiting for didn't disappoint.


Char Grilled Chicken Kumquat Lemongrass Dressing- Okay. Kumquats may be replacing my love for the Brussel Sprouts. Well not yet, but good to make sure I'm mixing up the rotation a bit more. Plus they are fun to say. And provide the pretty color that your plate needs. (Thanks Trainer Bob from Biggest Loser!)


Steamed Red Snapper, Shiitake Mushrooms, Ginger, Scallion and Tarragon. I almost didn't go with the tasting menu because of this dish. I don't do the fungi. Luckily below is a picture of my "naked" fish without the shrooms. I think it was okay? Maybe if you liked shrooms and had the full flavor it'd be better?



Shrimp Cakes? I think? I remember enjoying this one. I think? Ugh I really have to blog faster.



Coconut Sticky Rice Steamed in Banana Leaf. Okay. Consulting the menu this was either the coconut sticy rice or the ginger rice. Sad I don't remember cause this was one of my favorite dishes.


Thai Jewels and Fruits with Crushed Coconut Ice- Whoa texture. Ever stick gummy worms in a sweet milk filled with ice wonder what it tasted like? Yeah, me neither. Unexpectantly, good. Sweet, but good.



Ovaltine® Kulfi Caramelized Banana and Spiced Milk Chocolate Sauce- I think this is what it was? Nice, smooth, and well. Chocolate. I remember liking it. Being full but not minding...Isn't Ovaltine like an outdated chocolate milk? More Ovaltine Please?


Review:
The trendy place to be seen and heard. Oh Spice Market. Satay! Samosas! Peanut dipping sauce! Buddas! The atmosphere possibly took away from the food though since I think I was more concerned with seeing Sarah Jessica or any C-list celebrity who may qualify. Come ON! It WAS my birthday dinner after all. Part two. The food was good, and the tasting was a cheaper way to do the menu when the waiter tells you, "you're supposed to order a lot of dishes here." Overall, I had a great birthday filled with friends, good food, and wannabe Asian props.
Rating: 7

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP