Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Learning How to Coexist: A Walk Through Jackson Heights



Welcome to Jackson Heights. Where streets are littered with food carts comprised of tacos, quesadillas, grilled corn, arepas, and fruits. And the stores range from discount clothing, Quinceanera party stores, to the most insane tzchakees I've ever seen. Several blocks down the food switches along with the people. Indian grocery stores, curry, curry and more curry.

I've never seen anything like this. It wasn't so much the vendors or even the store fronts. It was the people. Yeah, I know it's New York and all but I was enamored by the diversity. A Jewish center down the street, after more google work I found that one of my favorite comedians Don Rickles is from Jackson Heights!! Okay, okay lots of history in this area... and according to my research, Jackson Heights is over 50% immigrants. So obviously the food is going to be authentic.

Jackson Heights is one of those places that foodies relish in, walking the streets to try some good ol' street meats- vendor food. Even while typing up this article, a new blog post showed in my reader of a guy doing a vendor tour through Jackson Heights. Hell, one guy even created a google map on it. With map in hand we went.

First up:
Elotes
It's roasted corn on a stick with lots of seasoning, butter, and possibly mayonnaise. Sounds gross? It was awesome. Mr. Broad has even made a variation of this before (Ah-mazing!!). Ya know how when you go to theme parks people get those huge turkey legs? I guess this is Mexico's version. I've never had the turkey leg but I'll stick to the corn...




Quesadillas
Cause what's a stop to Mexico without a tortilla with cheese and chicken.


Tacos
I went with the chicken version and probably one of the best I've ever had...

Tortes
Mr. Broad went for the sandwich version of a taco. With some more spices on it. Cause bigger is better...
I don't remember what this was but it was similar to an empanada... Filled with chicken, potatoes, and seasoning....


We stopped in a Mexican grocery store to get some cheaper spices and I stumbled upon the Goya aisle. Uh, what's up target market?


Overall a walk through Jackson Heights is very impressive. Affordable yet quality food combined with authentic eats. Unfortunately we were both too stuffed to enjoy any of the South Asian treats, but of course we managed to go to the largest Indian grocery store in the western hemisphere. For those looking for a cheap meal but not lacking in quality? May I suggest a venture down the 7 train and a warm welcome to street meat. Foreign language lessons not included.

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP