Thursday, March 26, 2009

Battle of the Dogs

New Yorkers are pretty passionate about their hot dogs.

Nathan's Hot Dogs. Grey Papaya. Papaya King. Shake Shack. (I'll get to that one in a later post).

I'm an okaay hot dog fan. (Say Whaat?) I mean they are good but I don't think they fill me up as much as hamburgers and honestly not worth the caloric intake. However, a couple of months ago when Mr. Broad and I got tickets to see an off Broadway show (Fuerza Bruta) we decided to do something on the cheaper side. Because the half price ticket booth we waited in line for was half price of uh, a lot. So Mr. Broad suggested a hot dog. I finally agreed. Okay, I really didn't want to go but the whole eat for cheap/trying to save money guilt did me in.

Crif Dogs
113 St. Marks Place nr. Ave A

We walk in to a typical East Village/St. Mark's place.

Hipster. Cheap beer or BYOB. Decals on the walls. Old school video games. White guy behind the counter in dreads.

The menu was a bit different than your average hot dog place. Actually come to think of it, I don't know what your average hot dog place is??

After studying the hipness of the menu the even hipper guy behind the cash register sensed our hesitation and offered his favorites.
Okay.
May I bring you:

Chihuahua
A bacon wrapped dog covered with avocados and sour cream


Spicy Redneck:
A house dog, bacon wrapped, with chili, coleslaw, and jalapenos


Yes! Crif dogs! We are soo cool, eating amongst the East Village crowd. And they have RC Cola!
Mr. Broad: I mean, you have to order RC Cola if they have it.
Obvi.

Out comes the two dogs. On one paper plate. Right, Right we said.
Mr. Broad: It's part of their thing here. It's cause it's so cool and cheap.
Obvi.

Review:
Okay, here come the flames. The hot dogs were good but not amazing. I think a lot had to do with the buns. Maybe they were sitting out all day. Maybe we were too sober. But either way, the bread was a bit on the stale side. Unfortunately this hurt the overall taste of the hot dogs. An innovative menu but really just not as good as all the hype. Actually I am sure Crif Dogs have been featured in the gluttonous website- This is why you're fat.

Mr. Broad still enjoyed it but as I expected as we finished our dogs Mr. Broad wanted another one. It is a very cool menu but definitely leaves you unsatisfying. Lucky for us, we left Crif Dogs while still having a cheap dinner for two.
Rating 6 (Mr. Broad said it was a 5. Although is up for regrading it again after a late night out).

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP