Tuesday, April 14, 2009

NYC's Best Sandwich?

It's almost with some irony that I blog about this next place during Passover. Have no fear Mr. Broad and I went there well before our bread-free holiday started. But alas, I still wanted to rave about this place. And while I can't eat the food right now, I might as well post some pictures to get me excited in the next two days.

Recently there have been many lists that have popped up about the "food's best" in NYC. And amongst those are the best sandwiches in NYC. New to the list in our favorite area, the East Village, is a small shop with just a few items on their menu.

Porchetta
110 East 7th Street

I told you. This post is soo not kosher, in more ways than one. Mr. Broad met me for lunch one Friday on his day off and we walked to this small hidden gem. There was a gathering outside so my guess is the secret is out. I'm sure the New York Magazine article didn't help. Damnit.
Inside the restaurant (Sidenote. If it has 5 bar stools can you call it a restaurant??) was porchetta in glass cases- the main attraction.

Why, Mrs. Broad-- what IS porchetta?
Glad you asked. It's a savory and relatively fatty portion of pork (okay very fatty) coming from Italian tradition. And we all know how Italians love their meat. There's a lot more to it but I'll just defer you to wikipedia at this time. And my crappy pictures.

Mr. Broad ordered for me. I guess there are more things on their menu but really you order one thing. And we got the potatoes to share.
Porchetta sandwich
Many angles here as I am fiddling with the settings of my camera.




Crispy potatoes and burnt ends
Potatoes with bits of burnt ends of porchetta mixed in?


Review:
Overall this meal was overly and completely satisfying. A wonderful, juicy sandwich that heightened my taste buds like I've never had before. Yeah Mr. Broad and I were in a good place. The potatoes with burnt ends were really something special, and my picture just does not do it justice.

Actually note, none of my pictures do this meal justice. For the record I fiddled with my settings and can NOT GET IT BACK TO NORMAL on how to take the best foodie picture. If you know, enlighten me. I'm thiiiis close to breaking out the manual. Although that would require me to find it. Right. Anyway for more excited pictures of our new favorite sandwich the Porchetta head on over here, and here.
The sandwich was not as small as it may have looked. Or maybe it was but it was loaded with yummy goodness that really was on that heavenly level and pretty heavy. I've also never had porchetta before but obviously this won't be my last.
For breaking Passover, may I throw in the suggestion of Porchetta. Because when breaking Passover with just bread just isn't enough.
Rating: 9 Add in a couple tables at a bigger place and we'd be a bit higher.

1 comments:

The Sullivans!! April 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

My Lord...that looks delicious!!! My mouth is watering right now! I'm adding that to my "list of places to go when I visit Caryn" list right now :) Miss you

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP