Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hipster BBQ

This past Friday night Mr. Broad and I stayed on our side of the East River, and took the subway three stops over to hipster, trendy Williamsburg. No really I lost count of how many converse shoes I saw being held together by masking tape. And I'm sure that guy secretly works on Wall Street.


NOTE: We also saw not one but FOUR people wearing black booty shorts with black panty hose underneath. This is not attractive. This is just weird.

354 Metropolitan Ave. Brooklyn

Fette Sau, meaning Fat Pig in German (Who knew? I thought it was French. Oops), is in a converted auto shop space which creates a great atmosphere for eating all things on a grill or smoker. Last Friday night, the weather was nice and this place has several tables outside so it was bumpin'. Or whatever the new hipster phrase is for crowded. You seat yourself and then go wait in a line and order your food fast-food style. It was barbeque; no need dressing it up with white table clothes.

Mr. Broad requested a platter for two-- whatever they wanted to put together for us. And a couple of sides of broccoli salad, pickles, and baked bean with pork.

In the front was pork belly, the back- pork chops, the left- rib meat and briscuit. This picture below was our entire platter. Plus our sides. Didn't look like a lot did it? At least I didn't think so. It was all $55. Uh yeah, a bit more than we were expecting. Yet I was not able to finish any of my portion at all. I guess they know what they are doing.






Pork belly is in the front. Yum.


Review:
Fette Sau is a fun barbeque place to sit back, relax and drink some beers out of a mason jar. The barbeque was good- Mr. Broad enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I appreciated it but decided I'm not a fan of pork chops and the briscuit was rather dry. The side dishes were okay, nothing remarkable. Hands down our favorite thing on the platter- pork belly. It had a distinct cinnamon taste to it and wasn't too fatty. I looked around and everyone was eating this up. We looked back at the chalkboard menu later on and it was quickly erased.
But the rest of it all? Well, let's just say my father is one to smoke legendary ribs. If he were to open up a place here, he'd be giving them a run for their money. And I'll even bring some converse sneakers for the occasion.
Rating: 7

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP