Monday, April 27, 2009

A Mish Mosh Meal

The other weekend Mr. Broad and I prepared for a long night out with our friends that were in town, The Essamas. They were up celebrating their one year anniversary and we had no problem crashing. While they were at a show doing their anniversary thang, Mr. Broad and I went out for dinner in a new 'hood we haven't been to much.

Tribeca.

Upstairs at Bouley
130 W Broadway

Like many big-time chefs Bouley has a high end restaurant (Bouley) and a "lower end" restaurant (Upstairs at Bouley). Chef Bouley also has a bakery and a market so that's really big time I guess. This restaurant had a menu that read like a diner. Well, a hodgepodge of items. They have a sushi chef with plenty of raw fish variety alongside of traditional Japanese, Italian, and the ever vague "fish and meat". But don't let my jesting sway you, this was a very good (but slightly random?) menu.

Fresh Asparagus Salad with Blue Crab and Parsley Broth:
Not sure if you can see the crab meat in this picture but it would make any native Marylander proud.

Nanzenji: Upstairs signature handmade tofu with truffle dashi-an

I did a double take when Mr. Broad placed his order. TOFU?! From the one who thrives on all things that were once alive... TOFU?! Whatever. It had mushrooms in it which isn't really my thing. I enjoyed the tofu and surprisingly... so did Mr. Broad.




Gnocchi with gorgonzola, shallots and cherry tomato sauce
I mean if you can order Italian next to someone ordering sushi, why not? This was awesome. A nice balance of gorgonzola (who knew?) with the tomato sauce equals rosa sauce? Nice.



Alright blog friends. This is where I broke the number one rule in food blogging. Guesses?

I DID NOT CHARGE MY CAMERA! ugh.
So I apologize. For all those that don't read what I write, well this post will likely end here for you. If it hasn't already.

So onto Mr. Broad's order, in words. He ordered something from the Japanese section and what came was something different in the Japanese section. Mr. Broad noticed right away and the attentive waiter came along, quickly apologized told Mr. Broad at no charge he can have the mistaken dish and brought over the new dish. You didn't have to tell Mr. Broad twice, this was a $25 mess up (the most expensive thing on the menu). Nice and tasty. Even if I had no idea what he ordered.


Review:
From the service to the eclectic menu, we had a great meal at a much smaller price than the upscale version would have been. Being in Tribeca I was in prime celebrity-look-out mode but alas, nada. I think it's like watching a pot boil at this point. I may have reached my potential at Bob Saget... Anyway, I'd definitely come back to this place. You may have a wait but if you and the rest of your party can't agree on a cuisine du jour this is a great compromise.
Rating:8


Up next... the night continues!

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP