Monday, April 20, 2009

Is it Weird I love Hummus But Am Not Crazy about Chick Peas?

Mrs. Cardinal comes to NYC every month for work... and it's about time I post our last lunch get together before she laps me in her visits. Mr. Broad suggested we check out this place knowing my love for hummus and it had just got written up in the New York Times that day. I'm all about being relevant.

109 St. Marks (nr. First Avenue)

Ya know it's funny, last time Mrs. Cardinal came up, we went to S'MAC. We really are all about the "speciality" food items. Up next-- the peanut butter sandwich restaurant? Or the grilled cheese place? Really I need to come up with one of these concepts.

The restaurant was very cute and quaint plus the yellow walls gave it to bright, shiny it's-not-that-small-of-a-restaurant feel. And how I love places that have a lunch special! Here you get your choice of appetizer plus one of the main "hummus's" for $7. Not bad!

Falafel
It had the necessary "green" fresh look inside that every falafel should have (cilantro, parsley...). The taste wasn't bad however it was pretty over fried. I was, however, impressed with the portion of five falafel balls. I sense a joke here.

Excuse the blurry artistic shot.

Hummus Tahini
Tahini, Olive Oil, and spices.
This was quite possibly some of the creamiest hummus I've ever had. With the tahini swirled in the middle it was all nice and smooth. I did have a bit of menu envy looking at Mrs. Cardinal's meal but I made due with my falafels.


Grape Leaves
No real comments for this one, just grape leaves that were pretty up to par.


Hummus Fava
Whole Fava beans stew, tahini, egg, olive oil and spices
Now this looked like a nice stew. Mrs. Cardinal definitely enjoyed this option and all its components.



Review:
Hummus Place has several locations throughout the city. And here I thought I found a secret gem, oops. It is a nice non controversial lunch spot. Oh and I must make mention of the bread/pitas that were about an inch thick. No pictures taken of it but it definitely added to the monotone hummus plate I ordered. Just hope you like your hummus cause it's quite a serving.
Rating: 6.5

2 comments:

Talking With Hands April 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Me Too!! I heart hummus but the sight of a whole chickpea makes me queasy.

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP