Monday, April 20, 2009

Belgium: Small country, Big (and Good) Food

So I mentioned that Mr. Broad severely chose incorrectly on one of his dinner picks. I really love rubbing this in...!
My turn, My turn!

I was going to make a stupid joke about my love for brussel sprouts and tying that into Brussel, Belgium. Or feeling very muscular and wanting mussels. I had just watched The Office and was feeling a little Michael Scott-like.

Basically, I was in the mood for mussels and my friend Zagat, Chowhound, and New York Magazine pointed me in this direction I knew we'd have to go for it.

118 Greenwich Avenue

Holy Mussels. They have a whole page dedicated to them. And another to Belgium beer! And it's (relatively NYC) affordable! I think Mrs. Broad gets a big ol' check plus in her restaurant pick match up!

Moules au Roquefort
Bacon, Celery, Onion, Blue Cheese and Beer

I admittingly knew what I was going to order before we got here. After perusing this menu can we say HELLO! It was awesome. A HUGE pot o' moules (5 years of French baby!) with a sauce that had large pieces of bacon and blue cheese throughout. The broth was really drinkable (but I didn't) and with all the moules I hardly made a dent.



There were so many mussels it was hard to get them in the picture. That's my excuse for the unappetizing pictures.




Carbonade Flamande

Dark Belgian Beer Stew of Beef

I was surprised Mr. Broad picked this one out since it didn't sound as exciting but sometimes I gotta admit it, he's got an eye for it all! The beef stew was thick, rich and meaty. How's that for adjectives.




Frites.

Cause what's some moules without any frites?! The reason why this restaurant stood out amongst others is that people raved over and over about these fries. Typical belgium style- twice fried (and I know this cause Mr. Broad made them once); they were crisp and well pretty awesome for fries. It came with a mayo-like sauce that was a bit too thin for my liking. So we dipped it in my mussel broth. Now we're talking.



Review:

What a great belgium restaurant. Located in the West Village, I felt like I coulda been in Belgium again. But this time I could afford the pricey Belgium beers. Mr. Broad commented on the decor being "weak"; but I think he was just trying to find some type of fault in my restaurant choice. Fair. Plenty of options on this menu if you want your choice of mussels... or if you want to try something else, belgium-like. The fries were pretty wonderful. The best I ever had? Not sure on that, I don't discriminate.

Rating: 8

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP