Monday, October 5, 2009

Don't go all Jason and the Argonauts on me now...

It was date night. Yes, kinda similar to how Mr. Broad and I go out to dinner normally but this way we classify it "date night" so it justifies it to us if we want to go somewhere nicer or have an extra glass of wine or three ... ya know, it's okay.


Greek?! But I don't know if I'm in the mood for Greek
What exactly is a Greek mood?

I don't know how but I eventually convinced Mr. Broad to go this route.

Okay. Secret: I've been to this restaurant before a couple years back and had a fab meal.

Snack Taverna
63 Bedford Street

Mr. Broad and I perused the Greek wine list as if we spoke the language and blah blah blah, Aphrodite, Hercules and George Stephanopoulos.
Except for Medusa. She sucks. Worst Greek character ever.

Sauteed Calamari Gigantes Garlic Lemon and Cilantro
Gigantes are beans. Like really large beans. Hence the name. And they rock.
The calamari was awesome too- not fried- but absorbed the sauce. Not sure if this was really authentic "Greek" but we enjoyed it. My complaint. The size. The gigante beans really made the bowl feel that much smaller.
And the lemon.




Striped Sea Bass over a Bed of Tomatoes and Asian eggplant.
I went for the special. Holy large portion. Okay. This made up for the calamari. And the fish, left with the skin on that you eat, had reminded me of the fresh variety we had while in Thailand.
And the eggplant and tomatoes. Quality and seasonal.



And a close up look to the veggies.




Oven Roasted Leg of Lamb - with Tomatoes, Roasted Garlic, Olives, Rosemary and Zucchini Fritter
The lamb was nice and tender. Mr. Broad commented it was lukewarm instead of hot. I tasted the rosemary throughout but I think the temperature really threw Mr. Broad for a loop. The zucchini fritters were good, crunchy and if I do say so had more fillings than an Applebee's crab cake (If they were to serve crab cakes of course).



Review
Snack Taverna wasn't as good as I may have remembered it the first time around. A good meal for sure but I don't know maybe I'm a bit tainted now cause we live in New York and I have a lot more restaurants in context. Yes, confession: I've become more of a snob. Oh what am I talking about, I'd still go back. But plenty of other places to try a second time around before that... And for our next Greek splurge; I think we'll stick to our neighborhood of Astoria. A bit more authentic for all things spanikopita and feta.

Rating: 7

Okay! So tell me! Who's your favorite Greek character? Ancient or modern?
Nia Vardalos anyone?

2 comments:

The Sullivans!! October 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

Isn't Astoria also the name of the town that the Goonies were from??? OMG!!!! I need to live there!
Favorite Greek God...Poseidon god of the sea...no reason why just because I did a report on him in 6th grade!

Sara October 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

Lukewarm food is one of my biggest pet peeves. I once sent something back 2-3 times because it wasn't hot at all. It probably had some extras in there after all that, but at least it was hot.

Fave Greek God--Demeter.

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP