Tuesday, January 6, 2009

An Introduction to Mr. Broad: Thai Food

My wife, Mrs. Broad, was out of town this weekend, so she said, “Hey Mr. Broad, what do you think about being a guest blogger while I’m out of town?” At first I enjoyed Mrs. Broad doing all the writing, but then I lightened up to the idea and though I could write about some of my favorite food on the planet.  Here it goes...


On Friday night I wanted to relax and eat comfort food. Most people when they eat comfort food they think about mac n’ cheese, pasta, meatloaf, etc… When I think about comfort food, I think about Thai food. It’s that combination of salty, sweet, spicy, sour, and bitter that really gets me going. You can taste each one of these food components in every bite and the complexity of really good Thai food will make you long to move to Thailand.. How much do I actually like Thai food you ask? Well, if I were stranded on an island and I could eat one food for the rest of my life, Thai food it would be. Yum!

Normally when Mrs. Broad and I want Thai food we go to Sripraprai in Woodside Queens. We have been there numerous times and the food has always been excellent. I, however wanted to experiment with something new and had read good initial write-ups about a new Thai place right down the road in Elmhurt, Queens called Thai Ayada.
The place was small and inviting seating about 25. Only, two other couples were inside when I arrived for take out, but they appeared to be Thai. If the two other couples were Thai, how bad could it be? The takeout menu was huge with about seventy items on it! Wow! So I went for a dish that I know, Papaya Salad, and one that didn’t know, Kang Som Sour Curry with Cha-am Omlet. Whoa, this is why I live in New York. Because I know I couldn’t find this in a small podunk town.

As I waited for my food, the owner approached me and I knew instantly that she was from Thailand because she came over with a big smile on her face. Thailand is of course the land of smiles. I got talking with her and found out she was from Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. I began to tell her how when Mrs. Broad and I were in Chiang Mai and how much we LOVED the northern food (Lanna Thai). It was different. More herbal and fresh. Not quite as heavy as the curries in the South. She told me if I come back, to call ahead and she’ll make me the Lanna Thai Noodles I love (and can’t find) so much. Clearly this got me fired up about the food ahead of me.

A quick drive home and I was hungrier than ever. First up, Papaya Salad (Som Tam). Papaya salad is in fact one of the most dishes in Thailand (unlike Pad Thai, which you can’t even find there). It comes from the Northeast (Issan) and is usually quite fiery. When I placed the order I made sure to ask for it Thai Spicy or Pet maak (these were the first two words I learned in Thailand). Papaya salad consists of shredded unripe papaya, cherry tomatoes, long beans, lime, a handful of chiles, sugar, and fish sauce. Now the taste test. Whoa! FIRE!!!!!! FIRE!!!!!!! It was delicious. The perfect blend of spicy, sour, sweet, and salty. Did I mention spicy? I was so spicy my face became flush, my nose started running, and it looked like my head was going to explode. This in fact, is the perfect way to have a Papaya Salad.
Next up was the Sour Curry with Cha-am omelet and shrimp. I had never had or heard of this dish before, but the owner recommended it, so I decided to give it a try. The omelet was made up of eggs and acacia root, which has an herbal quality. It was unlike anything I’ve had before. Combined with the sour curry and shrimp, it was the perfect combo. It was a great dish that I’ll be going back for.

I can’t wait to take Mrs. Broad to Thai Ayada and call ahead for the Lanna noodle the owner promised to make me.

Review: I’ll give it an A.

2 comments:

Mrs. Broad January 7, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Not bad!! Although I would have liked a picture of you actually eating the papaya salad to see your red face/runny nose :)

Sara January 7, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

Mr. Broad, is this a true A or Mrs. Broad grade inflation A? :-)

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP