Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Japanese- It Ain't All Sushi


"Man, you guys loove the Asian" -Brother

And it's so true. I enjoy it and mainly because I have discovered so many different types of Asian food from meeting Mr. Broad. No longer is it only the Friday night Chinese food or my go-to Pad Thai (but still a favorite...). I have branched out to the many different regions. And Northern Thai is different than Southern Thai. And don't get me started on Japanese vs. Thai vs. Indian curries. Duh.

Oh and we're pretty sure that Mr. Broad was an Asian man in a former lifetime. Maybe he used to work the rice fields or managed a karaoke bar. Either way, he definitely was Asian.

Yakitorri Totto (aka Torys)
251 West 55th Street

So when Mr. Broad suggested Yakitori for last Friday night I was game. We had only done it once before with Mr. Broad's brother and sister-in-law and had a great time. Yakitori for the nonfoodie stands for grilled chicken. And it is several bite sized pieces of grilled chicken on skewers that they cook/marinade on an open grill. But of course, it's not only chicken anymore but includes different vegetables or meats. With some adventurous items in there as well. The menu even said, "Acquired taste" in some areas.

The skewers start around $3 and in theory it can be affordable depending on how many you order. So we went at it. But first the appetizers.

TAKO WASA: raw octopus marinated in mildly spicy wasabi sauce-
This is so not my thing and clearly I didn't order it but texture was all off. I was expecting smooth, silky diver scallop-like bites. What I got was slimy, smooth but at points crunchy. I don't know. Mr. Broad did mention that it was just eh after I made him admit that there can be Asian food he doesn't like.

JIDORI KARAAGE: Japanese style fried chicken
I have had Karage before (Mr. Broad had to remind me) and really liked it. This one, however, I loved. The presentation
was very unique with all the meat on the top of the drumstick.
A singular piece of chicken with the meat on top...

TEBA: Chicken wings

NATTO KINCHAKU: fermented soybeans in deep-fried bean curd w/ spicy mustard

And the inside...
YAKI NASU MISO DENKAKU: eggplant w/ miso paste
Definitely one of my favorites.



MISO DARE MUNE NIKU: chicken breast topped w/ scallion and special miso paste


CHICKEN OYSTER: rare part of thigh (sot l’y laisse)
Apparently a very rare cut of meat which I don't understand since I didn't realize chickens were so rare. But the oyster is a part of the thigh which. Well, it rocks. Extremely juicy.



Couldn't find this one on the menu online but it was a rice ball skewer covered in soy sauce.


ENOKI BACON: enoki mushroom wrapped in a slice of bacon

Review:
Torys is a lot of fun. And they have plenty of other options for those not wanting yakituri. Someone explained it once as Japanese tapas. Sure why not. We had some other skewers not photographed (or they were and didn't turn out as "pretty") from chicken wings to spare ribs. Oh and pork butt. How could I forget Mr. Broad ordered pork butt. Chewy.

Anyway, these places are a lot of fun. And would be great with a big group of people too. But yeah, that would require us to know a big group of people. Sigh...

In the meantime, Mr. Broad and I enjoy getting seated at the bar and watching them make the skewers right in front of us. And trying to get me to sit down and stop taking pictures. Oops.
Rating: 8

All our skewers at the end. We done good.

2 comments:

The Sullivans!! January 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

Managed a Karoke bar...hahaha...love it! Remember when that guy sang "hello" when you guys were in Thailand...oh how I wish I was there with you :)

LKBeglis January 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM  

I had to laugh at your brother's comment!

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP