Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You know that Scene in Indiana Jones where they eat Monkey Brains...

Welcome to Fear Factor: Paris Edition

Well first we went wine touring in La Rioja region and spent the night in Laguardia, Spain which was pretty freaking awesome.
I'll post pictures later. But first up, Paris.


So meal 1 in Europe, Mr. Broad and I were super timid to ask the waitress for some help on the menu, we wanted to be *cool* Americans that didn't need the waitress's help. Hell, I whipped out my English-French dictionary even.
Come the end of the trip, however, we had no problem asking a little Parlez-vous Anglais?

And we happened to get the nicest waiter ever who translated the. Entire. Menu.
Merci Beaucoup Monsieur.

Of course I didn't write anything down so it doesn't help you at all but it was damn good.

Pork Belly with Chorizio and other yummy stuff. And foam. Ooh fancy.
Heavenly.


And here it is. The garcon (I'm SOO french! Now if only I knew how to do that little squiggly below the c...) went down the menu in English and stopped on the last appetizer.
He looked at Mr. Broad and I. Nervous.
Garcon: Do you know what this is?
Mr. Broad and I: No...
Garcon: Ehh... This is brain and... tongue (pause waiting for Americans to freak out).
Us: What? (I swear we thought he said lungs instead of tongue. Cause thaat would have been gross.)
Garcon: Ehh... It's brain. And. Tongue. A cow's tongue.
Me: A brain?? (He said BRAIN?!)
Garcon: Oui, people like it. It's very popular (of course it is)
Mr. Broad: I'll take it.
Garcon: Oui? You're sure.
Mr. Broad: Oh yes, I'm sure.

Oh boy.

And then it came out. Just like it looks. Now I'm familiar with the Jewish variety deli meat tongue (Mr. Broad and Brother's favorite) but even this was a little different. The tongue was smooth and well, pretty awesome. With your average lamb's brain is the centerpiece of this dish. No idea on the preparation. We're hoping it wasn't raw.
Yes, even I had the tiniest little sliver. Because how often can you pass up brain!? Surprisingly not bad. If you just close your eyes and think of chicken.

You know that halloween prank where you put your hand in the bowl full of peeled grapes and they tell you it's eyeballs?...
Yeah, this was the real thing. With your eyes wide open. And you eat it.
It deserves a close up.
The waiter stopped by several times to make sure we were okay.
Oh Mr. Broad was. There was no leftover brain in case you wanted to take some home with you.
Main courses here.
What was this?! UGH. It was good! Tender, juicy and awesome. I think it was the actual lamb.


Mr. Broad got the squid.
I guess with the brain adventure Mr. Broad decided to play it safe and stick with the fish. How about those grill marks!? Perfectly cooked.


Pistachio and Chocolate Pot de Creme
I must have seen 4 of these come out of the kitchen, so it was a no brainer what I was getting.
Oh Paris, how I love thee.


Cheese platter
We had picked up cheese at a fromagerie but we had yet to try the popular French dessert cheese course. Mr. Broad who was really on a roll here, decided to go for it.
A large offering of cheese, it was a different ending for two Americans so used to ending on a sweet note.
I mean, Mr. Broad had a salad.
As he exclaimed. "My last bite and it's going to be salad? Pass me that pot de creme... "


Review:
This place was fabulous. Hell, we're even ahead of the trend as it got written up in the New York Time last week. Not presumptuous, it had a New York feel located in a small restaurant. Mr. Broad proclaimed this was his favorite meal in Paris. I can't decide anymore. But if I ever want brain, I know where to go.

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP