Saturday, April 3, 2010

The vacation in recap



Aah France and Spain.
How I love thee. Our first vacation that didn't *really* involve a beach. But involved plenty of mountains, scenery, wine, great food, and chocolate. And wine.

I took pictures of our meals cause well, helloo you just don't eat like this normally. As I did with our last vacation to Brazil thought I'd do the same and give a list of superlatives. And then you know blog about our vacation to make it seem so much longer than it was. Cause Basque country yeah, you're TOTALLY UNDERRATED.

Days on vacation: 9

Pictures taken: 708

Books read: Mrs. Broad 4; Mr. Broad 48 pages.
Note: The book Sarah's Key: best and most pertinent book to read while in Paris. Whoa.

Saddest movie to watch on a plane: Precious Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire. I think I've finally recovered from it.

Quote from French winemaker we idolized: "Do you drink a bottle of wine a day? I do."

Most prestigious quote from a fellow wine taster: "Aah this wine would go just lovely with a pan fried foie gras."

Mr. Broad's favorite French word: Douche

First biggest blunder on the trip: Mr. Broad booking two tickets to Biarretz in HIS NAME. Les Awesome.

Second biggest blunder: Misreading the euros and how much a bottle of Armagnac was. Thinking it was $45 but learned it was $240 after we paid. Screaming "return-ey!"... "exchange-ay!" to the cashier.

Worst flight ever: Sitting two seats down from a woman on the red eye to Paris as she was violently ill the entire flight. And passing barf bags to her. Les Awesome.

Second worst flight ever: on our way to Biarretz, the woman next to Mr. Broad asked for "le sac." WTF.

How you say barf bag in French: le sac

Craziest thing we ate: brain

Worst thing Mr. Broad ate: fried pig's ear.

The "I'll give it another shot" award: Pig's ear. Mr. Broad proclaimed it was better the 2nd time because it wasn't fried.

Best meal we had: lunch at Asador Etxebarri.
(Thanks Anthony Bourdain for the recommendation- around minute 3:45; we met the sous-chef!)

Oh and pictures.
I know you've all seen the Eiffel Tower. Or Ms. Mona Lisa. So here are the pictures you haven't seen...


Souffle- the French do it right.


Fresh made crepes
The windows of the chocolatiers had fun displays for Easter


Oh chocolate...


A line is forming outside of a popular Boulangiere. Trust me this ain't your Wonder Bread


St. Jean Pied de Port
(I loved saying this town's name)

All the houses in the French countryside were white with red shutters.
So cool.


Biarritz
My new favorite town



I love truffles now.
(Eaten at the best lunch ever)

Small towns in La Rioja region
(My new favorite wine).






San Sebastian


Tapas lining the bar in San Sebastian


Marques de Riscal designed by Frank Gehry: Winerie and Hotel

Speaking of wine


Okay so the trip was a complete success. Even though I pretend to speak more French than I really do. (Mr. Broad was still impressed.) And the Euro sucked. And we almost bought a $250 bottle of alcohol. We absolutely loved it.

I'll leave you with a lasting image. Brain. Turns out it was lamb's brain. No idea on the preparation. Don't worry I'll explain it all in posts to come...
Stay tuned!


2 comments:

HaveShoesWillTravel April 4, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Looks wonderful. I could spend forever in France and Spain.

Sara April 5, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Bella LOVES a fried pig ear.

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP