Monday, November 10, 2008

Sushi for Experts

One of the many restaurant rewinds to come... I've been taking pictures of our food long before I started writing, but with the intention of posting about it eventually. So bear with me as you hear about some of our past restaurants we went to in the next posts ahead.

Soto
357 6th Ave (between 4th St & Washington Pl)

Mr. Broad: Where would you like to go to dinner tonight?
Me: Hmm, I'm feeling in the mood for sushi.
Mr. Broad: Ooh, there's this sushi place I've been wanting to try in Greenwich Village.
Me: Perfect!

And enter the most unlikely sushi place I've ever been to.

While they had your typical sushi rolls it was clear due to the placement on the menu that this was not the highlight of the menu. Chowhound boards gave this place high reviews so we were eager to try it out. And I definitely knew why Mr. Broad picked this place out as well- one of their specialities was uni (sea urchin), his favorite.

And so we ordered. The waiter told us we had to order lots of food because they have small portions. Umm, okay. Of course you do.

Anyway. We ordered several dishes most of which I don't remember. But WOW for presentation. And yes, it was sushi in that there was raw fish in there but if you wanted say a California Roll? HAH! I laugh at your sushi ignorance!

May I present to you:

Uni Ika Sugomori Zukuri- sea urchin wrapped in thinly sliced squid and shiso served with quail egg and tosa soy reduction

And Chyu Toro Tar Tare chopped fatty part of big eye tuna with avocado coulis, garnished with caviar, chive, served in sesame ponzu sauce


And I was craving an actual sushi roll, so I got a - Tuna Tartar roll



And trust me because the plates were so small there was plenty of room for dessert- my favorite; mochi! (Japanese ice cream made with rice) I think it was strawberry, green tea, red bean, mango, and banana. Sounds about right.



Review:

Overall the meal was really good. While probably not the sushi meal I had expected, it definitely was "interesting". The plating itself was gorgeous and we had many other dishes than the ones above. The portion size was small and more expensive than I think either of us realized heading into it. Was it good sushi? Yep. Would we come here again? Probably not. It's not your everyday sushi place (mainly due to cost) and besides that- there are too many sushi places to try out!

Rating: B (Mr. Broad gave it a B+)

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP