Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Banh (for) Mi (and you)

Oh I try with these titles...

I'm going out of order here. But to my BIL and SIL who enjoyed a fun foodie weekend, have no fear; I'll get back to our finds...

So Mrs. Cardinal was in town for her monthly visit. (The way that came out, I feel like she should be renamed Aunt Flow...aah bad joke I'm full of them)... I pulled up one of the sites I had bookmarked for just the occasion.

21 East 12th Street

I was introduced to the ever popular Vietnamese sandwich by Mr. Broad. And then had it at a popular restaurant that I vowed not to name in this article. Banh mi's have taken over NYC. Where once the ever popular Tasti D Lite stores were, I swear banh mi's are now sprouting. (Although have no fear, tasti d is still abundant).

This restaurant we went to had numerous banh mi sandwiches from a coconut shrimp to veal meatballs, to duck, to the ohso traditional pork. Okay. After doing a little research it appears it's not a Vietnamese sandwich, it's Cambodian! But all things considered, it's really similar. I mean it's like calling the sandwich American vs. Canadian. I think. But I digress.

My go-to website Serious Eats has some quality pictures of their variety.

This place is a window front and usually has a line wrapped around. There is seating upstairs, something not many realize.

Pulled Duroc Pork with honey



Five Spiced Pork Belly



Review:
I am so excited to have found this sandwich place and right near my office! Awesome for a quick lunch and filling. The chili mayo sauce provides a good zing while the refreshing cilantro follows it up. They have many different types like tiger shrimp, a crab meat one, duck ... so I think I'll have to venture back again. My *only* gripe is that I wish it'd have better seating or possible some more side dishes than asparagus. Not that it's needed since the sandwich more than covers lunch. I'm excited to take Mr. Broad here... and since it's close to the Union Square Greenmarket I already know what we're going to do afterwards!
Rating: 7.5

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP