Monday, December 15, 2008

What's a Synonym for Awesome??

Two weeks ago (cause this blog is that far behind) I hadn’t seen Mr. Broad all week so we decided to hit one of the most talked about restaurants that has hit the scene.

Momofuku Ssam Bar
207 2nd. Ave

David Chang is the chef and he has entered the NY scene with force. His other restaurants are Noodle Bar, Ko, and recently opened Milk Bar. Mr. Broad and I have tried numerous times to get into Ko for special events with little success. You can only book reservations 7 days in advance online and there 10 seatings each night. Basically it fills up in 15 seconds (no joke) and creates severe frustration and has led us to think that no one actually eats there and it’s all a scam. Google Ko reservations and there's many articles speculating how to get into this restaurant. It's a touchy subject for us.


So enter his next restaurant Momofuku Ssam Bar. They don’t take reservations, so we were ready for the wait. At least we know we’re getting in… eventually!

When I asked Mr. Broad what type of food he specializes in, he said awesomeness. Technically though, ­­­according to Chef Chang, it's New American. Whatever that means. Mr. Broad had been here before with a coworker and my foodie cousin and hasn’t stopped talking about some of their pork buns- comparing it to Ippudo.

The restaurant isn’t known for it’s ambiance. It has a long table that they put parties of 2 at and then handful of other tables for larger groups. What I’m getting at, is that it doesn't matter. When Frank Bruni from the New York Times gives it three stars, you’re in for a nice wait.

Lucky for us, they just opened up Milk Bar that attaches to it and they also serve some food and beer. We will definitely have to check this place out again because I went nuts taking pictures of their displays. Consider that a teaser. With pies labeled “crack pie” or “candy bar pie” it’s worth coming back. Yeah that's right I said crack pie.

So let’s get right down to the food. The menu changes often so lucky for you I kept mine for a souvenier. Right away we ordered the pork buns. It’s game time. Not in the order we got them at but close enough.

Steamed buns (pork belly, hoisin, cucumber, scallions)

They were heaven in my mouth. Slightly different than Ippudo’s buns (these had hoisin sauce). You can clearly order these all night and make a meal out of it. But why pass up all the other amazing concoctions??

Edwards’ Wigwam Country Ham (Surry, VA)

We had had surry ham before at Murray’s cheeses and so we knew what we were getting. This was no different- just awesome.


Diver Sea Scallops
Amazing fresh fish that melted in your mouth. The scallops were in a sauce that Mr. Broad pondered the appropriateness of drinking out of the bowl like cereal.


Satur Farm’s Fried Brussels Sprouts- mint, scallions, fish sauce vinaigrette.

By now you have heard about my affinity for brussel sprouts through examples one, and two. This my friends is no different. I know what you are thinking. Golly gee, Mrs. Broad. How did you ever manage to eat these fried vegetables!? Yes exactly. And not only were these little crispy leafy cabbages of yum, they had puffed rice within it! As in rice krispy treats within the brussel sprouts! Genius.


Cat Ear Pasta- Hahn Farms’ turkey, cranberries, sage


I was a bit interested in just getting this dish by the title alone. Be assured that no cat was harmed in the making of this dish.


Banh Mi- ham & chicken liver terrine sandwich.


Holy best dish EVER. Seriously, screw the pork buns (well, not really) but this was quite possibly the most amazing thing I have eaten. In a long time. At first I figured I’d have a bite and at least try it out not thinking I’m a fan of chicken liver terrine. But then each bite of deliciousness outweighed the one prior. And the rest of the night I could NOT stop talking about the banh mi sandwich! To anyone who would listen. One of the waiters shared with us another restaurant that also has great banh mi sandwiches… hmm...


Crispy Pig’s Head Torchon- adzuki beans, market greens


Cause who doesn't appreciate a good pig's head. No? Yeah, exactly. I was far stuffed at this point and Mr. Broad wanted "one last dish." I had a bite cause you JUST HAVE TO. And I could tell it was good but all I thought about was the banh mi sandwich. There were some great beans mixed with dried cherries that provided an interesting complement. But like I said.
Baaanh miiiii. Yumm.


Review:
Grading this restaurant far surpasses some of our prior “A” category meals we’ve had. While the others were great, this is in a class of its own. I fail to come up with some of the words to explain our meal and find myself saying "awesome" and "amazing" over and over. Service was nice, and the ambiance isn’t really there but honestly who cares. It is some of the best food we have ever had. And did I mention the banh mi sandwiches are incredible?? Oh we’re going back. Likely with our other foodie friends (you know who you are)…
Grade: A+

1 comments:

Talking With Hands December 17, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

I saw a brussel sprouts recipe in Southern Living and am actually thinking of making it since you seem to be a fan and we tend to like/dislike (mushrooms) the same food!

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP