Sunday, December 14, 2008

Aah the Cupcake Craze

I have a mammoth of a post coming up next. Like get excited. It's a biggie.

But before that. Let's take a little break for some dessert.

After going to Crumbs with Talking with Hands when they were in town, I convinced Mr. Broad that this is legit. The real thing. The thing about cupcakes is that they are a bit overkill at this point. Like they are so trendy they are passe. And Mr. Broad would usually prefer to eat anything that was once alive before he hits up sweets. So I was pretty excited he agreed.

In case you have been hiding under a rock cupcakes have been taking over every bakery that then adds a cute name to their shop. And if you ARE hiding underneath that rock then newsflash- Obama won.

So move over black and white cookies there's a new mainstay in the bakery- cupcakes.

And yes, I have tried a couple of them so far. Because you have to.

They are mini cakes! You can eat one and not feel guilty cause it's small! They are pretty! It's pink, it's pink!! But the proceeds go to Susan G. Komen fund! Ooh, this one was in Sex and the City! Sprinkles!!!

Here's my review of the ones I have tried.

Magnolia Bakery- here's a place that is suffering from the "OMG Carrie and Samantha went there in Sex and the City so they must be amazing" phenomenon. Newsflash. They aren't.
They just have standard chocolate, vanilla, and if you get lucky maybe a red velvet. If I'm being honest I think I could make me a batch with good ol' Duncan Heinz and get a famous friend (Bob Saget?!) to eat them and I'd be in business. Carrie and Samantha- really??
Note: I have heard there other desserts (banana pudding?) are far superior to their cupcakes. Whatever.
Grade C

Buttercup Bake Shop- their cupcakes are slightly cheaper than the others at $1.95 and there are definitely more flavors. But honestly, I was still a bit underwhelmed. The icing tasted super duper sweet. Still better than Magnolia Bakery. And actually if I recall, the "devil dog" cupcake was pretty good. Marshmallow icing. Yummmm.
Grade B

Crumbs- Hello. Mother of all cupcakes. My blogging "friends" (re: people who's blogs I stalk and they have no idea who I am) have pointed me to this shop. It is a bit pricey for a cupcake ($3.95) but it is huge. One cupcake can easily be shared by 2+ people. And their cupcake menu is extensive. Twinkie cupcakes? Boston Cream cupcakes? Cookie Dough cupcakes? Seriously, trying to figure out which cupcake you want can take some time.

We settled for the Snow Cap Cupcake. The cake was moist and filled with chocolate filling. The top was vanilla icing and covered in snow caps. Everyone now, "Yum".
Grade: A



The beautiful display of cupcakes at Crumbs

1 comments:

Bordenia! December 16, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

You didn't get the Artie Lange cupcake! I can't wait to have one of those some day!

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP