Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gettin' your head in the game

As you are reflecting back on all of these posts I know what you are thinking- Thanksgiving? She is still blogging about that? Isn't it practically Christmas which means that Valentine's Day is right around the corner, not to mention Easter and OH, PLEASE write about Cadbury Eggs! I LOVE those!

No? Okay.

Well confession- I have been a bit distracted. Having just finished Breaking Dawn I have with the most pristine speed completed the Twilight saga. Totaling four books each averaging 700 pages I finished in under 2 weeks. All the while writing a paper, studying for an exam here and there. Aah life does get in the way now doesn't it?

Lucky for you I did surface to eat and remembered my camera.

So let's go!

Txikito
240 Ninth Avenue (b/n 25th and 24th street)
"All I ask is that you name the restaurant something that's a little easier to pronounce and spell"
-Serious Eats Review

Sunday night after Thanksgiving we had close friends of ours visiting- JJ and TA. We decided that after all the big meals to eat a little "light". And after reading all the great things about this basque tapas restaurant that just opened up Mr. Broad and I were eager to try it.

One thing we underestimated. Going to tapas when you are hungry? A potentially expensive problem...

So, we went there for what we'll call appetizers :)

The restaurant was your typical small place... and we started with a pitcher of sangria cause why not. Stuff was okay. You could tell the bartender was new because TA and I got our drinks with straight up ice and Mr. Broad and JJ had a nice iceless strong sangria glass. They topped us off and not the biggest deal but since this is my blog I thought I'd share.



Would you like some sangria with that ice??


The perfect (potentially lukewarm) pour


Okay onto the food.

Txikito specializes in Basque tapas. Having been to San Sebastian, Spain with Talking with Hands the tapas in the Basque region is a bit different, although I can't explain why but there is a menu posted on the New York Magazine.

Morcilla (crispy blood sausage filled bundles)

Foie Micuit (homemade foie gras terrine)

Ajoarriero (pasta filled with salt cod stew)



Tutera (gratin of artichoke, Rancal, jamon)


They were all somewhat tasty although JJ was quick to point out that the Tutera had more artichoke and less of the meat substance. I wasn't a fan of the foie gras- a little too "slippery" in texture for me. The blood sausages were good but I was slightly underwhelmed and had a chinese egg roll feel to it. The cod filled pasta was probably the best dish but by then we were already mentally finished.

Review

You know when you are just not into a restaurant the moment you walk in? Not necessarily the fault of the restaurant but like you decide you wanted Mexican a week ago and when it really rolls around you wanted Chinese? That was us. But more on a tapas to anything else feel... The place was good maybe slightly expensive... regardless all of our heads just weren't in the game. So. We decided to forfeit and call it a warm up (appetizers) and head over to a new location for a more "hearty" meal. It's gotten great reviews so I guess Mr. Broad and I would eventually come back here again for a "rematch"... when we are in the tapas mood.

Grade B-

PS- Stay tuned for part 2 (teaser, I know)...

0 comments:

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP