Thursday, June 18, 2009

Givin' it up for the Redheads

While I am playing restaurant catch-up I am still exhausted from my Gramercy Tavern post. So this post, well it's going to be more about the pictures. Cause does anyone actually read this blog?? Or do you look at the pictures? If a tree falls and no one is around, does it make a sound? Discuss.

349 E 13th Street

Mr. Broad met me in the city cause I was working on a late Friday night (UGH) and we grabbed a bite at a restaurant we've wanted to try. The Redhead has been written up in some of my favorite NY foodie blogs and is a southern food bistro-ish restaurant.

Bacon Peanut Brittle
These were their upscale "beer nuts" we had while waiting at the bar. Hands down the best thing we had that night. Not because we didn't like our dishes, but this was just thaat good. It was sweeeet with a slight salty taste from the peanuts. I coulda eaten this for dinner and been all set. They also sell it by the jar to take home which became the "should we/shouldn't we" conversation later. After seeing the size of the jar that they give you to take home, we passed.


House Made Soft Pretzel With Kentucky Beer Cheese
Good but not ahhmazing like the menu reads. The pretzel was soft but not hot which would have been nice. And the beer cheese was one of these cold cream cheesey-cheeses which is for Mr. Broad as exciting as me eating Mushrooms (Note- sarcasm.) But don't kid yourself, he ate it after I told him it wasn't cream cheese. Oops, sorry...



Seared Beef Tenderloin- Bing Cherry Mole, Cashews, Polenta
You ever just order a dish primarily for the side dish? That's why I ordered this one. I really wanted bing cherry mole. The dish did not disappoint with large portions and CHERRIES! It's been awhile since I've been here but I remember this being good and barely being able to eat half of this.



The Redhead Burger- Chips, White Cheddar, Lettuce, Red Onion, Pickle with Applewood-smoked bacon

Okay, it looked amazing. And came with potato chips and an onion dip. Points for being different for sure. Mr. Broad didn't *mind* it just didn't love it. After his first bite he kind of had that puzzling look like he wanted to complain but also didn't want to ruin dinner. While not really the medium rare in color he wanted, worse off... The burger was cold. I had a bite, and though cold isn't the word I would use- luke warm was more like it. I told him to send it back. Ten minutes later a new burger was cooked with steam coming off of it. Definitely did a lot better for the burger. Just still missed a little somethin'. Had all the makings but couldn't figure out why.. the meat maybe? Eh, whatever he ate it.



The "Onion Dip" for the potato chips

Gd these pictures suck.


Review:

The Redhead is perfect for the East Village right down to its name. Had some good choices and some "okay" ones. Would I come back, sure- maybe order something different and get a beer. Or maybe just to nosh on the bacon peanut brittle.

Rating: 7 (Mr. Broad gave it a 6.5)




P.S. For all the redheads out here-- My favorite improv skit. Redheads protesting Wendy's mascot.




P.P.S. While reviewing my post before publishing Mr. Broad exclaimed, "It was CREAM CHEESE?!" And then asked me to change his rating to a 5. He also wanted it to be known that Lounge 47 had a much better burger.

5 comments:

Erin Lee June 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

WOW. Talk about sinful. You sold me on the nuts. I think you should give a warning before reading your blog posts - "DO NOT READ if you have not eaten in the last 12 hours" ....I am off to eat my fat free greek yogurt :P F me. Love you mean it!

LKBeglis June 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

I would be ALL over the sweet/salty bacon peanut brittle!

KHodson June 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

All your posts make me want to get out and try some of the great restaurants in the DC area. They also give me some great ideas on foods to make. :)

G Wolf June 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

Cause does anyone actually read this blog??
Yes.

Or do you look at the pictures?
Can't we do both?

If a tree falls and no one is around, does it make a sound?
Yes: "wooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO. BLAM!"


On an unrelated note, why doesn't Mr. B like cream cheese?

06141979 July 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

I'm sooo glad I got to live vicariously through you, and i've been totally wanting to go there--just for that peanut bacon brittle! consider it moved up to the top of my list!

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP