Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Last Flea Market I was at was in Florida. This was way different.

Leave it to New Yorkers to come out with a trendy/hipster flea market. I've been to the ones in Florida that has many senior citizens driving around in their motorized scooters... eaten a knish, gotten a fake watch or two.
So I was interested to see what this one would bring.

Brooklyn Flea Market
Clinton Hill/Fort Greene

The flea market was outside, although I hear come winter they move it inside? (Will have to investigate.) Not completely ginormous (compared to the Florida ones) but they really manage to pack a lot into small spaces. It is NY after all.
Full of plenty of craft vendors, food vendors, and random dare I say, Junk?
But even the junk looked COOL.

They had bracelets made out of old vinyl records.
Hand crafted Jewelry.
Furniture that likely was found on the side of the street but was now called vintage. You know the scene. And I loved it.


Scenes from the crowd:



And of course we got some eats there.
I took some pics of the bakery goods. But being limited in cash we only looked.



Another view. It was like an upscale bake sale.





Until of course Mr. Broad came to this. Hot dogs with numerous toppings. The stand was from Asiadog. And because as we all know Mr. Broad was Asian in a former lifetime, he had to get one.





Mr. Broad went for the Wangding. No, I'm not kidding. The wangding consists of bbq pork belly with onions. He was in a happy place, exclaiming "Onions on hot dogs rock." I'm telling you we're really big on the adjectives.




And because one hot dog is never enough for Mr. Broad, no matter the toppings. He had his eye on a pizza. A brick oven stove that they had brought in from SOMEWHERE??





And the Pizza. Mr. Broad went for the classic. This was a huge pizza that could have easily fed the two of us and that would have been it. Of course we can't do that though. A brick oven pizza for $7 is unheard of here. It got high marks.






I don't know what it is here in New York. Maybe it's because we are so close to New England... But lobster rolls are all the rage right now. I think it's the season? Even our grocery store is selling them. So I finally splurged for one. And by splurge, it was um, $15. The verdict? This one was not so bad. If just small. Ugh. Pricy and small. The bread was a white bread that I detected heavy on the butter/oil/grease. The lobster part was good.. but like I said small. In a word. Overpriced.





And for dessert. We had ice pops. Not pictured but with creative flavors I went with the sugar plum and tarragon while Mr. Broad had the blueberries and cardamom. Both good, mine was a bit more tart than I had expected. And they also had a guy with an ice luge shaving the ice off and the put in a sugary concoction that looked good. Because when I see an ice luge, that's what I think of doing....





Review:
It's a flea market but with a Brooklyn twist. And maybe this is how all flea markets are but I have a Floridian stereotype perspective to it all? Aah, it was fun regardless. Crafts borderlining on junk. Junk borderlining on crafts. And the food. Upscale food carts and vendors. I'd definitely be hitting this up again. If nothing else to buy a vinyl bracelet or some homemade granola.
Rating: Worth a trip for sure. (How do you give a number rating to a flea market??)

3 comments:

Erin Lee August 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

Very colorful and descriptive - sounds super fun! now I want a freaking hotdog.

Talking With Hands August 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

I love hot dogs - those look sooo yummy!!!

Unknown August 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

Holy crap do I want to eat that pizza.

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP