Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sometimes I Wonder How Restaurants Get Their Name.

The other week Mr. Broad's cousin (we're going to call Mutton- he'll understand) was in town doing cool and hipster stuff and we were excited to hang out with him and go to dinner. He lives in DC and we would hang out frequently when we lived there. And so now it was our time to impress.

DISCLAIMER: My camera was not charged. You think I would learn?? I did not. And still have not as I have another post coming up with the camera pictures.
...iPhone to the rescue!

54 E 1st Street

This place is recommended as one of the hotspots for brunch but we went the dinner route. I had heard they are known for some of their offal (internal organs for the amateur) which is what got Mr. Broad all excited.
Yes.
Dinner items that well, depending on your palate, might not make you salivate.

Roasted Marrow Bones, Parsley Salad, Sea Salt
Uh yeah.
I just said Bone Marrow. Mr. Broad made like a caveman and dug right into the bones. I'm not sure how many of my faithful and trusty readers have eaten bone marrow (feel free to comment) but I had to try it for my blog's sake. And the verdict? It's a bit more gelatinous for my liking. After you get through the gel like material (fat?) the beef is soft and smooth. The marrow part is actually really good. It may take me a couple times to warm up to bone marrow but in the meantime, Mr. Broad was in a happy place.



A blurry view of the Bone Marrow on a piece of toast



Fried Sweetbreads with Bacon and Capers
On a kick to try something outside of my comfort zone, I went with the sweetbreads. I have had them before and remember liking them but it's not a taste I could recall. Sweetbreads is a deceiving name for those not familiar.
Mutton and I shared this dish and had no complaints. It's fried and is remarkably tender and soft. Somewhat like a sweet, soft chicken taste (because doesn't it all taste like that?? um, except bone marrow) Mutton and I had no problem with this dish.


Grilled Swordfish with Corn, Arugula, and Bacon
Okay. Now for our entrees we all went a bit more "normal." At least for us. Mutton and I both ordered this one. The entrees aren't the biggest portions for the price but the taste made up for it. The corn/arugula/bacon side was good I just remembered playing a "where's waldo" game looking for any bacon pieces.



Wild Striped Bass with Cockles, Razor Clams and Chorizo
Mr. Broad and I have had cockles before while visiting Thailand and it's similar to a small clam. Mr. Broad thoroughly enjoyed this dish as apparent by his clean plate and when asking him comments he remarked that the fish was well seasoned and the clams/cockles all went together well. I might add that he did have a lot of beers beforehand so his comments were plentiful. And not just about the food.




String Beans with Ricotta Cheese
We sprung for the "special" side dish and loved it. An unexpectedly great combination, the only thing I would recommend is if the ratio was larger for string beans to ricotta cheese.


Trifle with Brandied Cherries and Homemade Ladyfingers
We don't often get dessert when we are out, but it was Mutton's birthday so we splurged. And well, the portions were small so trust me we didn't have a problem. Mr. Broad put his hands up and said he was out this round.
Oh please, he picked up his spoon and dug in as fast as anyone.


And another view because I'm trying REALLY trying here with the iPhone camera..



Review:
Prune is a great East Village restaurant that as we found out, is pretty popular. People were still sitting down to eat at 11pm! Typical in that it is a small and cozy New York restaurant. Untypical because well, veal hearts aren't for everyone. They are known to have a real quality brunch worth the wait that I guess Mr. Broad and I will have to check out one day. But for now, I've had my fill of bone marrow.
Rating: 8.5

1 comments:

LKBeglis August 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

I made the mistake of reading this while I was eating my lunch, and I just had to put my sandwich down upon reading the bone marrow and other stuff. You guys certainly are adventurous!

People who visit and do not leave comments

  © Blogger template Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP